Saturday, November 30, 2013

Onsen hopping -- and dipping!

One of the must-do things in Japan is onsen hopping, instead of bar hopping. Onsen are the hot springs, natural bath pools created by Mother Nature. The water comes from deep within the earth, and hence is rich in nutrients that are supposedly good for the skin, and for health in general. Naturally, it made it to one of the items in my bucket list. Initially, I was a bit apprehensive, as the onsen etiquette requires one to be in one's birthday suit (and I do not exactly have a flattering figure, what with my back problem) save for a small piece of modesty towel that u use to cover ur 'family jewels'. Well, in this respect, we guys are better off than the girls, who have to decide whether to use their modesty towel to cover their bosom or their 'below'. Truly a dilemma indeed! Someone suggested tongue-in-cheek that maybe they should just cover their face and that will solve all problems!
While in Nara, the kind and affable hostess suggested this onsen with a funny name -- yu-na-na-no-yu! Who could resist such a kawaii name? I'm sold on the spot, and made my way there early the next morning. No photography is allowed in the onsen, for obvious reasons, but here r some pics from a brochure to give u an idea:

pic I took at entrance to onsen


Brochure pics showing interior of onsens in garden setting
 
The onsen above featured a garden setting, and while scenic enough, did not have those outdoor setting that open out to gorgeous mountains vistas reminiscent of those that appeared on Japan Hour.

My onsen appetite not satiated, I eventually checked with a friend from Singapore who recommended another place he had been before some months back. It was all the way in the suburbs of Kyoto, and I had to travel all the way there from Nara. It was lucky that I made the trip as the onsen was exactly the type I had envisioned.

the Kurama onsen, located on top of this building,
nestled in the bosoms of surrounding mountains


As I dipped in the onsen, what greeted my eyes are the coniferous trees on the mountains
opposite, swaying to the rhythm of the breeze



dazzling autumn foliage on the other side of the onsen pool;
the glass panels are the indoor section


rinsing/bathing section before and after stepping into the onsen;
they even provide free shampoo and body wash

My first onsen experience was nearly two decades ago in Hakuba, a skiing resort outside Tokyo. So there was a sense of deja vu this time round. Even then, it takes some getting use to. For one thing, water is very hot, at about 40 degree Celsius, bubbling forth from deep within Mother Nature's belly. It practically fried my balls! But after my body has gotten use to the temperature, it started to feel very therapeutic. The hot water did wonders for the aching muscles of my body, esp after all that non- stop walking. I was lucky in that when I visited this onsen, two guys just left, and I found that I had the whole onsen to myself.....So out came my camera busy snapping away.....Spent about thirty luxurious minutes bouncing around in the water and splashing around, since no one was there! If only I had a cup of hot coffee with me, then it would be truly heaven! -- well, almost.